Monday

Password reset with a twist

Hi friendly folks at the help desk,
I am trying to sign in at your site but my password doesn't seem to work.
Can you help?
Maddy


Hello Maddy,
Thanks for contacting us. We can reset your password for you. In order to accomplish that, we'll need to ask you a couple of questions so that you can establish ownership of the account first.
Would you mind giving us the date of birth, last 4 digits of your social security number  and full name you entered on your registration form?
Thanks
Support staff


Hi support staff,
I am sorry but I'm not going to do that. You're probably good and honest folks, but I can't give you my personal information, just in case there is a chance that you are trying to steal my identity. I am being very careful with what kind of information I give on the internet. Surely you can reset my password without this information?
Maddy


Hello Maddy,
You did in fact give us your information (full name, date of birth and last 4 digits of your social security number) when you registered. Those are required fields on the registration form.
All we need you to do is repeat this information now as proof of ownership of the account, and then we can reset your password for you.
Thanks
Support staff


Hi support staff,
The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that you are trying to steal my identity. If I already gave this information on the registration form, then you should have it and there is no reason for me to give it again.
I did some reading up on identity theft and couldn't find anything about help desk folks stealing identities, but I don't trust it, sorry. Crooks come up with new ideas all the time.
Please just give me a new password, that's all I'm asking.
Maddy


Hello Maddy,
I am sorry but we cannot reset your pasword unless you prove ownership of the account which you can do by giving the information we asked for. Again, note that we do have this information already, we just need you to confirm it.
Thanks
Support staff


Hi support staff,
All right I know that I didn't give you my name and all that, I'd never give that on the internet, especially not to strangers. I'll tell you my name and DOB, and please reset my password then, it can't be that difficult.
Full name: Madonna Von Bogus
DOB: February 29 1975
Maddy


Hello Maddy,
The information you provided is incorrect. There were only 28 days in February 1975 and you were not born in 1975. Your last name Von Bogus does not appear to be your name.
Please try again.
Thanks
Support staff


Hi support staff,
Wow this is getting a tad too serious for my taste. You seem to know more about me than I feel comfortable with.
Tell you what.. before I give you any information at all, I want to make sure you really are the support staff people for the site I signed up with. I've heard of emails being derouted to different places so that people can get one's personal info, and I think this might be the case here.
Please provide the following information promptly to prove me wrong:
Your full name
Date of birth
Last 4 digits of your social security number
Your work schedule
The exact amount that showed on your paycheck for January 2011
Your home and work IP
Your address and phone number
Full names of your parents
Please also provide a scanned copy of your birth certificate along with a scanned copy of picture ID
Maddy


Hello Maddy,
I am sorry but we don't give our personal information to customers.
Support staff


Hi again help desk,
And how exactly is that fair? You demand my personal information, but I can't have yours in return?  This is abuse of powers.  Trust is a two way lane, you know..
You can keep my accont.. enjoy it!
Maddy

5 comments:

  1. Is this exchange real or do you make them up? In the first case, it's really too hilarious for words. In the second case, you're a genius! I'm always looking forward to reading a new post of yours... there just ain't enough funny things in one's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dieter, thanks for stopping in and reading :)

    The exchanges are not real, I make them up.
    What's real though is that I work on line and part of my job is replying to tickets at our help desk.

    I agree that there aren't enough funny things in life. Let's change that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol hilarious and I can only imagine how many times you would encounter similar things in your job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA -- that made me laugh.

    And good point! Who ARE those help desk people anyway? lol

    ReplyDelete